Jay Preston VO

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Creating a Home Studio

Well, today (February 28th) was my last class at Kalmenson & Kalmenson. One of the casting directors for Kalmenson was there today and we got a chance to read some material in front of her and they got a feel for everyone's "truth". So now everyone in the class will be entered into the Kalmenson data base and who knows, maybe one day soon I'll get a phone call for an audition that will pay for my next set of classes! :-) Which means, I've decided to take another class. I'm still debating whether it will be the Kalmenson animation class or another companies. In the meantime I have some reading and practicing to do.

I'm currently reading the book called "the Law of Success" original 1925 edition written by Napoleon Hill. My dad sent it to me and it is an incredible book so far. It's changing my view on some things and strengthening my idea's that I've already been forming. I highly suggest it for yourself. While I'm on the subject of books. Here are three others I suggest and that were suggested to me.


Voice-Over Voice Actor : What it's like behind the mic
   I've read this book twice now, once before taking a class in Voice Over, and once during. I may even read it again soon. It's an amazing handbook for anyone thinking about or already in a voice-over career.

These next two books were suggested to me by my voice-over teacher after class today. And this isn't the first time I've heard these books mentioned in my life. So I will be going to the bookstore tomorrow to pick up them up. Here are links for you.

Rich Dad, Poor Dad

How to Win Friends and Influence People

And finally, these next two are books that no actor should be without. They are fun fast reads and you learn more than what you read in the pages. You're thinking, "how is that possible?" Well, pick them up and you will see what I mean. :-)

True and False: Heresy and Common Sense for the Actor

Improvise.: Scene from the Inside Out

So there you have it. A few books I've read and love and some that I will be reading in the very near future. I hope you find them to be as much help as I did and still do today. And now, as promised. I will give you all the necessary tools to create your own at home Voice-Over studio. A must for at home auditions and every day practice. As many of you, I don't have alot of money but I try to make what I do have, last and work for me. Online you can find at home studios to buy, but they are WAY too expensive. These are two examples.
The Porta-Booth Pro : Price $349

Porta-booth : Price $149 (Does not include Microphone)


I decided, that I could just make it myself for $50. The whole set up with a microphone and a pop filter costs a total of $154. VERY VERY affordable! Now, I linked exactly what I bought. Feel free, depending on your budget to upgrade or downgrade the filter and/or microphone. I also have included two recent purchases as optional buys.

You will need:

2 Acoustic Foam 2-1/2" 24" x 18" UL 94

1 14-Inch Collapsible Cube

1 Pop Filter

1 Microphone  


Optional Items


Book Light


Music Stand

When the Acoustic Foam comes in you will need to cut it into 5 parts. The first goes into the far back of the cube. Measure and cut out the following pieces of the foam 
One Piece @ 14inches X 14inches.
Two Pieces @ 11.7inches X 13inches 
One Piece @ 11.2inches X 5.2inches
One Piece @ 10.5inches X 4.8inches


The largest piece fits in the back of the cube, the two sides go in the left and right side, the smallest piece fits on the bottom towards the opening and the final piece squeezes into the top and will curve. The finished product will look like this. 





Now maybe you are wondering... Does it really make a difference? Why not just buy the microphone? I thought the same thing. But unless you have a wide walk in closet, or a soundproof bathroom, these microphones will pick up EVERY little nuance around you. And your voice will bounce of walls and make you sound like your in a cave even if your in a small room.   Till next time, Enjoy the books and projects!


~Jay

1 comment:

  1. Just found out about a new amazing sounding portable mic, maybe after I finally get an iPad, I'll pick one of these puppies up.

    http://blog.voicebank.net/could-your-portable-apple-device-become-the-next-high-quality-voiceover-recorder/comment-page-1/#comment-9081

    ReplyDelete